These are the instructions to root Asus Zenfone 5 running on android 4.4.2 using Zenfone5 rootkit on windows computer.
Requirements: Your device should have at least 30-40 percent of device battery to perform the rooting process.
Root Asus Zenfone 5
Download and install Asus Zenfone 5 usb driver on your computer.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Asus Device. To enable the USB debugging: Open Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging > Tap on the Checkbox to Enable it.
(Developer Options is hidden for Android 4.2.2 or above, to show this option Go to Settings > About Phone > Built Number > Tap on it for 5-8 times).
- Now, connect your Asus Zenfone 5 to the computer.
- Download and extract Zenfone5 rootkit on your computer. After extracting you will be able to see the following files:
- Now, Open Root-ZenFone.bat (found in the Zenfone5 rootkit folder).
- Once Root-ZenFone.bat is opened, you will be able to see the following screen.
- Now, Press any key from your keyboard to begin the rooting process.
- During the root process your device will reboot 5-6 times. And at the last you will be able to see the success message.
- Now, your Asus Zenfone 5 is rooted successfully. To verify this open your device and search for the SuperSU icon in the App Drawer.
Optional: You can also verify the root status of your device by using the Root Checker Application.
 Backup: Please take a backup of your important data as rooting may delete your personal data. Backup also help you to recover your data whenever anything wrong happens in the rooting process.
 How to survive root access: During OTA updates you may lost the root access. To avoid this situation, Open SuperSU > Settings > Enable Pro (you have to purchase the SuperSU Pro from PlayStore) > Enable Survival Mode.
 How to Unroot: To untoot, Open SuperSU on your Device > Settings > Full Unroot.
 Asus Stock Firmware: If you are looking for the original firmware for your device, then head over to Download Asus Stock Firmware page.
 Asus USB Driver: If you are looking for the original USB Driver for your device, then head over to Download Asus USB Driver page.
 Credits: The Zenfone5 rootkit was created by shakalaca (developer), so full credits goes to the developer.